A big part of Roarockit's business is working closely with schools, after-school programs and non-profit organizations. There are many great programs/organizations around the world who have integrated board building using Roarockit Technologies into their students curriculum. It is such an amazing thing to see a full classroom of kids, walking away with a high quality, handmade board of their very own... not to mention some of the coolest graphic and design jobs we've seen in the skateboard industry!
While it is not a 'traditional' method of teaching by any means, instructors who have used the program have reported many benefits in their classrooms, including;
- increase in attendance levels
- students are focused, attentive and apply themselves to complete their decks
- can work as an incentive for both 'under' and 'over-achieving' students
- teamwork and mentoring scenarios occur naturally during the build process
- students gain experience working with their hands
- the program can be applied to a wide range of subjects including Art & Design, Mathematics, Construction Technology, Business and Entrepreneurship, Physical and Environmental Sciences, and more
- students relate well to skateboards and its counter-culture aspects
- great opportunity to involve their community through fundraisers, art galleries, open-houses, etc.
Another great part about the Roarockit skateboard deck builds is that they do not require the use of power tools and can be done in any classroom, or even outdoors...we've even had classrooms set up on picnic benches in a park! There are also no harmful glues, paints or coatings required, and the Thin Air Press is considered to be the 'greenest' method of pressing skateboards in the world (it's all hand powered!).
As part of our push to see more and more schools/programs building boards with their kids, we work diligently to help build a scenario that matches your particular teaching needs in regards to time constraints, class size and budget.
Here are a few links that include more information about course curriculum, funding options, examples of successful programs that use our kits, tutorials and more!
Oasis Skateboard Factory - A Toronto District School Board reengagement program that helps students earn high school credits by running a skate/longboard design business.
Stoked Mentoring - Stoked is an action sports, youth development agency based in New York and Los Angeles
Feel free to give us a call or email if you would like to get more information about how to integrate board building into your own programs.
You can call us Toll Free at - 1-888-857-7790
or email - email@example.com